About Me

My photo
I am a junior at the University of South Alabama majoring in Elementary Education. I am also a wife and a mother to my beautiful 4 year old daughter. I am 2 and I live in bay Minette, Alabama. I look forward to being a teacher and I am very ready to graduate.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Assignments 1- 4

Amber Grace
divineamber1982@gmail.com
01/18/10


Mr. Winkle Wakes-

I agree with this story for the most part. Simply because when you walk in a hospital theses days, I;m sure it is nothing like it used to be. In fact, we know it isn't. These machines he is talking about may be an outrage and "too much" as some people say but, however, theses machines are saving lives everyday. Same way with a place of business, the corporate world is ALL about technology. That's where the money lies. Without being so up to date with technology, I'm not sure where a lot of people would be in their careers.

The school part I can relate to because other than computer class time or going to the lab, I personally have not seen where the students are sitting behind a computer throughout the course of the day. However, it may soon come to that. I have just recently been in the schools observing and for the most part I remember it that same way. Except maybe for the computer lab part. But I remember as a child learning on computers as well.


Did you know 3.0-

I was stunned to see the statistics. It seems as though I am very aware of the increase in technology, however, it seems so crazy that so many people all over the world rely on the Internet to stay connected. When the computer crashes or the systems are down everyone freaks out. It's like no one is trained for back up with pen and paper to carry out business...

I can't say much because I am a huge fan of the Internet. We just recently moved and we no longer have high speed Internet because it is not yet offered in our area and it feels like we are out of touch with the entire world! I feel like I live on another planet. We have dial up and it is so slow, its not even worth it... It all goes along with that "immediate gratification" of this generation. Same way with all the technology, the newest, fastest and best always gets the pick. And there is always something new coming out.

The Importance of Creativity-

I am sort of biased when it comes to this topic. Probably because my entire life I've enjoyed making crafts and always using my imagination and being crafty. I feel like that motivation is not around as much as it used to be. Children were encouraged to use their imaginations and be creative to come up with games to play, toys to play with and many more ideas. Now it seems as if everything is thought of for you. You just simply google it or look it up and poof there it is! No effort at all.

I learned in my Art class you are to encourage children to be wiley and use their imaginations. That giving a child a color page was wrong over a piece of blank paper so the child could be creative. I hope to encourage creativity in my classroom when I become an Educator.

Harvest your Students' Digital Smarts-

I liked this video for the most part. I am very excited to see students learning so much about technology and that they are staying current on everything in the cyber-world. I do believe that all teachers and students should remain to stay up to date with the times and technology, but also to learn to survive without it. Just in case they had to. It would also be a big help to occasionally step outside to get some fresh air and exercise. So many children are obese these days and a lot of the problem could be from the children never going outside to exercise and burn calories. Video games and the Internet is what the majority of students do for fun. Exercising only their hands. I think it is great that the teachers are training the students so well.






1 comment:

  1. Amber,

    You make a good point about how you remembered going to the computer lab as a child. I think sometimes we take for granted that children only need to be introduced to something and they themselves will seek out more knowledge on the subject. My daughter is a great example. She is exposed to technology at home and a little bit at school. She has explored the computer and various educational sites on her own just by being introduced to them for a short period of time! This ties in well with the Ken Robinson video. She is still very creative and wants to learn as much as she can with eager delight. Great point.

    ReplyDelete